I'd like to dedicate this post to Katie who so lovingly (sarcasm) told me to update my blog. Sorry it's been awhile...ministry has been crazy but wonderful!
As you know, the title of my blog is "The Great Surrender" and I would like to share with you a quote from Pope Benedict that was the inspiration for that title:
"Are we not perhaps all afraid in some way? If we let Christ enter fully into our lives, if we open ourselves totally to him, are we not afraid that He might take something away from us? Are we not perhaps afraid to give up something significant, something unique, something that makes life so beautiful? Do we not then risk ending up diminished and deprived of our freedom? . . . No! If we let Christ into our lives, we lose nothing, nothing, absolutely nothing of what makes life free, beautiful and great. No! Only in this friendship are the doors of life opened wide. Only in this friendship is the great potential of human existence truly revealed. Only in this friendship do we experience beauty and liberation. And so, today, with great strength and great conviction, on the basis of long personal experience of life, I say to you, dear young people: Do not be afraid of Christ! He takes nothing away, and he gives you everything. When we give ourselves to him, we receive a hundredfold in return. Yes, open, open wide the doors to Christ – and you will find true life. Amen."
I fear God's plan for me. I am afraid that what he asks of me will require such great suffering and sacrifice that I will not be able to endure. I worry about what others will think or say about me; I worry about what I'll have to leave behind; I worry whether I'm worthy enough of the call. I dwell on the quote from the Gospel in which Jesus says "pick up your cross and follow me". I dwell on the sacrfice of surrender but not on the reward of that surrender.
Hebrews 11:40 says this beautiful, yet simple statement: “God has foreseen something better for us”. The one who has fashioned my soul, has sustained my life, has been the fount of all goodness and love is the one I fear. This God who sees something far greater and more fulfilling for my life is the one I fear and reject. Yet the life I lead and the control I desire only leads to unfulfillment, fear, uncertainty, guilt, and burdens. So why, I ask, do I desire this? Why do I literally desire to be less fulfilled and less happy than I could be? Why do I say yes to a life of burdens when God calls me to a life of freedom? Why do I reject a God who loves me more intimately and abundantly than anything I can imagine? Why would I rather bask in my self-love than embrace the all-consuming love of the Father?
Today, I beg the Holy Spirit to help each of us surrender a little bit more of ourselves. Let's strive to be better pray-ers, better spouses, better children, better students, better employees, and better disciples by surrendering our lives to a God that is far greater than us. Let us trust that, by his grace and mercy, our surrender will bear fruit and will allow us to experience the fulfillment we so greatly desire. Peace be with you, friends.
YAY! thank you!
ReplyDeletei loved it! and sorry for all of the heckling! i just looove reading this blog!