In one of my Social Work research classes, I remember discussing the differences and benefits of certain studies of people. In one particular class, we discussed the difference between several qualitative research designs. In some cases, researchers will simply study people or situations for one specific point in time in order to get data very quickly and cheaply. They can do this by sending out surveys or making phone calls to interview people. On the contrary, one of the most well-known and highly effective research designs is that of the longitudinal study, which involves extensive examination of a specific person or group over a long period of time. By studying subjects for a longer period of time, the researcher gets more data and better understanding of the situation.
I think in the case of our faith, we generally live our lives in the assumption that the Lord judges our lives like a longitudinal study--looking at our lives and our choices over time. Now I don't necessarily think that this is a bad thing or an incorrect point of view. But what I'd like to suggest is that we could live holier lives and live more fully for God if we changed our focus and pretended as though God judges us randomly, by specific points in time. Matthew 7:13-14 says "Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and road broad that leads to destruction, and those who enter through it are many. How narrow the gate and constricted the road that leads to life. And those who find it are few." So what distinguishes those on the narrow road from those on the broad road? I think that those on the narrow road do just this: they are attentive to whether each action in their day expresses their love for God and their desire for eternity with him.
The example of the Saints shows us men and women who sought God not just on Sunday or when it was convenient, but at every moment, in every circumstance, regardless of it's ease. They were people who looked at the actions of their day and ardently desired for each to be done for God and out of love of God. They were people, just like us, who passionately sought the narrow road in every moment simply because of the satisfaction and love they had found in God.
So how can we adopt this perspective? I think for us it means that we begin to examine each action and decision of our day, seeking to make each of them show that we do, in fact, love and want to serve God. It means that we begin to ask ourselves questions like: does THIS action show that I really love God? Does what I am about to say glorify God? Does how I am using my time in THIS moment show that I want to make God a priority? If God were to judge me on what I'm about to say, do, or think, would I behave differently? Greater holiness, for us, will mean that we are more fully present to what we are doing, portraying, and glorifying in the present.
And I think that if we began to be more attentive to making every action of our day--whether brushing our teeth, disciplining our kids, posting on Twitter, or shopping at the grocery store--an opportunity for our faith to be manifested, we will not only have Christians who glorify God, but we will have Christians who are more satisfied. C.S. Lewis once said "How little people know who think that holiness is dull. When one meets the real thing, it is irresistible." It is glorious. It is fulfilled-living. It is beautiful. And when we seek lives of holiness, lives lived more entirely for God, THAT is when we find ourselves satisfied.
So this week, let us embrace our call to live each moment for the Lord. Let us seek holiness with intentionality and passion. And let us strive to show the world that this relationship with God, this embracing of selflessness, and this seeking of holiness is where we find the satisfaction and love we are looking for.
No comments:
Post a Comment