(Note: I am still processing my trip to Spain...bear with me as I continue to process WITH you.)
A few weeks ago, after my pilgrimage to World Youth Day, I had the pleasure of spending time with my friend Almu's family about an hour outside of Madrid. Tucked away in the hills of Spain, the town included a shimmering lake, a Castle built in the 15th century, and lovely homes reminiscent of the kind you would see in a ski resort. But the local attractions are not what I will remember for the rest of my life. What has stuck with me and has continued to nourish my spirit since I departed is the way that I was loved and nurtured by Almu's family while I was there. And the craziest thing about that statement is that there existed a huge barrier between us: they did not speak English and I do not speak Spanish.
The first night that I was in their home, I sat at dinner trying to follow the conversation, asking for my friends to translate, and feeling somewhat foolish. I went up to our room that night feeling uncomfortable and wishing I would have learned at least a little Spanish so as to be able to communicate anything to them other than "hi", "thank you" and "good night". But what I quickly discovered in the next few days was that language was not a barrier to their hospitality. Language did not impede them from being attentive to my needs. Language did not limit their ability to care for us and listen to us and provide for us. Their love transcended words.
The following week, I was praying after receiving Communion at a German-speaking Mass, where yet again I did not know the language, and was pierced by this recognition: the love of Jesus Christ transcends words. It is not bound by language or nationality or culture. It is not limited by our understanding of it. It is not hindered by our misconceptions of it or our expectations for it. Truly, "neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor present things, nor future things, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature will be able to separate us from" or impede our receiving of "the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 8:38-39).
Surely today we can find great comfort in the acknowledgement of the immeasurable love of God for us. But perhaps the greater and more noble task of this day is to allow the reality of Christ's transcendent love to convict our hearts to be more faithful to the call of discipleship. 1 John 4:11 says "Beloved, if God so loved us, we also must love one another." And I think we can go deeper and say that since Christ's love for us is surpassing, unfailing, infinite, and persistent, shouldn't our pursuit be to love with such intensity? Isn't this essentially our role as disciples? Isn't this irrational, unquenchable, non-judgmental love the thing that sets us apart as Christians?
Today may we humbly confess that our love could be bigger, bolder, and more intense if we are truly seeking to follow in the footsteps of our Lord. May we admit that there are people who we could love better, situations that are yearning for our attention, and needs that are seeking to be met by us. As we humbly reflect on the smallness of our love, may we ask for the grace to love like Christ--in such a courageous, radical, consuming way. In our lives may it be said that neither job, nor schedule, nor culture, nor nationality, nor language, nor education, nor age, nor persecution, nor hardship is able to separate others from the love that we are willing to give because of the grace given by Jesus Christ.
No comments:
Post a Comment