Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Eucharist is Solution

On a global scale, there are issues that seem to be simply insurmountable. Peace seems impossible in the midst of widespread war. Satisfaction seems inconceivable in the midst of world hunger, poverty, and consumerism. Dignity seems to be utterly neglected in a world where human trafficking and rape and prostitution exist. Life seems to not matter in a culture where abortion, capital punishment and euthanasia exist. Even on a personal level, there are situations in our own lives that seem to be unconquerable. Marriages are failing; illness exists; addiction takes over; relationships are strained; family members leave the Church; discernment of Vocation seems unending; temptation seems unbearable; sin seems to defeat. IMPOSSIBILITY SEEMS RAMPANT.

But I'd like to make a statement that might seem unlikely to some. It might seem crazy to others. And it might just make sense to a select few. And that statement is this: EUCHARIST IS SOLUTION. I want to expound on that bold statement by looking at John 6, the chapter of Scripture that Catholics use to defend the Church's teaching on the Eucharist. Hidden in this familiar passage with its commonly quoted verses lies one verse that has changed my life and brought me immense hope. And that is John 6:45 which simply says: "Everyone who listens to my Father and learns from him COMES TO ME."

As this verse plainly tells us, if we were to truly listen to the words of the Father, I think we would all hear the same message at the core: "GO TO MY SON." "Go to my Son for healing. Go to my Son for understanding. Go to my Son for reconciliation. Go to my Son to know my love." And when we go to the Son, what purpose does that serve? What help does he provide?

For those of us looking for direction or meaning or purpose, Jesus has definitively said, 'I am the Way and the Truth and the Life" (John 14:6). To those of us starving for an end to the restlessness of our hearts and the satiation of our desire, Jesus has said, "whoever comes to me will never hunger and whoever believes in me will never thirst" (John 6:35). To we who are bogged down by anxiety about the future, stress about a current situation, or worry over loved ones, Jesus has said "come to me all who are weary and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28). He has claimed that he will give us life (John 10:10), that he will prepare a place for us (John 14:2), and it was professed that he will take away our sins (John 1:29). To war, he brings peace (John 14:27). To family struggle, he brings grace (2 Corinthians 12:9). To those needing direction, he sends the Spirit (John 16:13). For whatever situation, for whatever struggle, for whatever hardship, there exists a solution--JESUS CHRIST.

Romans 5:8 says that "God proves his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." But God CONTINUES to prove his love through the gift of HIS SON STILL DWELLING AMONG US. On this Earth, we have the supreme gift and the unbelievable honor of coming to the Son--in the form of the most Holy Eucharist. The same Jesus Christ who spoke to his disciples saying that he is the way and truth and life; the same Jesus Christ who extended peace and grace and mercy; the same Jesus Christ who triumphed over sin and death is the same Jesus Christ who dwells in the Eucharist. And he extends these same gifts to us. We merely have to receive him to receive them.

Sometimes I wonder what the world would be like if people actually knew the truth about the Eucharist. Sometimes I think about how my own community could be changed if Churches didn't sit empty or if the Eucharist was constantly being adored. I wonder how differently my friends and family would live and think if daily reception of the Eucharist became the norm. But most frequently, I wonder how much of the stress and anxiety of my own life would cease to exist if I sought the Lord in the Eucharist with deeper devotion and urgency. I wonder what temptations could be overcome, what direction my life would take, what love I could offer, and what peace I would find if I would just "listen to my Father" and come to the Son.

EUCHARIST IS SOLUTION. Today, I'm not asking for people to claim this as truth, but I am asking us all to ponder it. Pope Benedict XVI once said that "the happiness you are seeking, the happiness you have a right to enjoy has a name and a face: it is Jesus of Nazareth, hidden in the Eucharist." Could it also, then, be true that the solution to all that we are seeking--peace, freedom, dignity, meaning, healing, defeat of sin, overcoming of hardship, and desire for love--could be found, hidden in the Eucharist? May we be bold enough to test this theory. And may we follow the Father's gentle nudge, leading us to his Son in the Eucharist.

No comments:

Post a Comment