About a month ago, I attended a Youth Ministry talk at one of the Catholic high schools in Columbus on the topic of chastity which was followed by one of the most beautiful experiences in the Catholic faith--Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. Though the speaker was amazing and though I was awed by the 400-some people who came out to hear the talk, it was this sacred action that shook me to my core. My heart was pierced with love for Christ as we adored his precious Body in the monstrance. And my mind has been occupied with wonder at this experience ever since.
As I peered across the room to stare at what outsiders may perceive as a simple piece of bread enclosed in a beautiful gold case, I was utterly moved by the humility of our Savior. I was thinking about royalty in our world today. And I was imagining how the situation would be different if the Queen of England were making an appearance at this same Catholic high school. I'm sure that if the Queen were attending, more than 400 people would have arrived to see her; parking lots would be packed; and the event would have way better publicity. The Queen would have body guards and the most stringent safety precautions would be taken to ensure her safety.
And yet the one known as the King of Kings humbled himself enough to come into that hot and stuffy high school gym to a group of sinners who were all unworthy of being in his presence. Our Lord, our Savior and Redeemer, in his great humility, not only sees us as worthy of being in his presence, but literally desires it. The King of Kings doesn't come with body guards but enters our midst and begs us to seek him; he doesn't come demanding vanilla lattes backstage, but comes amongst us simply asking for open hearts and willing spirits. We don't have to be royal or noble to come before him; in fact, he seeks out those who are poor and least among us. And though he deserves an audience like none ever seen before, he welcomes the singular adorer who wishes to be in his presence and soak up his grace. What a strange and irrational God we have! Praise be to you, Lord Jesus Christ, for your humility and love for us.
No comments:
Post a Comment