In one of my very first blog posts, I confessed to the world that my friends often call me "Megquest" because I have this really bizarre, innate sense of direction. Quite seriously, I remember directions to places that I only visited once when I was younger. I may not have gotten the highest ACT score, but this practical gift of direction is one that I actually greatly cherish. I was thinking about this concept of giving people directions the other day when a Google Map excursion went awry. We all have used Mapquest or Google Maps or even GPS systems before and have ended up getting lost because of faulty directions they gave. Because of this I have concluded that I always receive better directions from someone who has actually been to the area. For me, knowing to turn left at the Wendy's or to go past the Church with the weird bushes are much more valuable descriptions than knowing that the turn is in .42 miles. Receiving instruction from someone who has traveled the route makes you feel much more prepared before venturing out.
Jesus Christ is the ultimate direction-giver. As corny as that sounds, if we look through the Gospels, we see that Jesus was always in the business of preparing his disciples for what was down the road. Jesus Christ, the human, who walked the earth and actually lived the life he would demand from his disciples, gave them instructions on how to reach the ultimate destination that he was preparing for them. And these instructions, this roadmap, if you will, intricately laid out all the things that his disciples would see, experience, and undergo before reaching their destination.
Jesus prepared them for hardship. We see this most clearly in the Sermon on the Mount. The Beatitudes do not say, "Blessed are you who follow me, because life will be easy for you". None say, "Blessed are you who sing in Church because then I will allow you to get a promotion at work". Jesus very abruptly states that those who follow him will be poor, will mourn, will experience thirst, and will be expected to show mercy, peace, and purity. And if that wasn't enough, he says that his followers WILL be persecuted, insulted, and rejected.
Jesus prepared them for their failure. He told Peter the exact time at which he would betray Christ. And he told his disciples that their faith "would be shaken". Though this sounds like an attitude of condemnation on Jesus' part, it actually was a great act of mercy. Jesus acknowledged their failure as a way to showcase and extend his mercy. He knew their weaknesses but already had put plans in place to offer his forgiveness.
Jesus prepared them for the Spirit. In his last few gatherings with his disciples, he also foretold the greatest way in which he would still be present while he was physically absent. In John 16, Jesus says that he is going back to the Father, but that when he does, he will send the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, to provide direction on seeking truth and righteousness. And in Matthew 28, before he ascends, Jesus instructs them that this Spirit would come with power to enable them to proclaim this truth to all nations and peoples.
We are on the same road as those first disciples--seeking to live our lives so as to reach heaven as our eternal destination. Today, let us acknowledge the ways Jesus is preparing us for this journey in just the same way. Let us recognize that nowhere in Scripture or Church teaching does it say that discipleship is easy. We buy into the lie that Christianity is supposed to be all consolation and rewards, but today let us recall that the life of a follower of Christ is difficult, but not impossible. Let us be aware that Jesus knows we will sin. He speaks to each one of us saying "You will fail. I acknowledge that", but has put in place the great Sacrament of Confession in order for us to be reconciled. He prepares us to acknowledge failure but to embrace mercy. And lastly, Christ has sent the same Holy Spirit to us--to dwell within us, direct us, pray within us, and draw us deeper into the mystery of the Trinity as the next step in our route to eternity.
Jesus, thank you for preparing us for the life of discipleship--with its hardships and failures. Ever-merciful Savior, we choose to follow your direction as we ardently pursue life with you for eternity.
Such an inspiring post. I have never known anyone who writes with such passion and ground. I look forward to reading more and getting inspiration to follow Him more deeply.
ReplyDelete