I think that all of us have certain words that we admittedly always struggle to spell or use correctly. For many of us, spelling the word definitely is definitely a struggle. As my pet peeve can tell you, many people use the words good and well incorrectly. And it is with great humility that I confess that the words I struggle with are most certainly choose and chose. These are two very simple words, yet every time I write either of them, I have to actively think of which word is the correct one to use. I've employed several tricks to help me remember which one is which, but still self-consciously spell check them in emails or documents to avoid mistakes.
I was thinking about my difficulty with these words the other day and as I did I came to the startling reality that they are not just a struggle for me in usage and spelling. The words choose and chose are words that I struggle with constantly in my understanding of my relationship with the Lord. Deuteronomy 7:6 says, "For you are a people sacred to the Lord, your God. He has CHOSEN you from all the nations on the face of the earth to be a people peculiarly his own". And this fact IS quite peculiar: that God would CHOOSE me. The one whom I turn from the most still desires me. Though I fail constantly and disgrace his name, he still yearns for me. And that's my hang up. I cannot understand his choice of ME. I struggle to embrace that I do not need to merit or work for his love. I cannot fathom the absurdity and irrational extent of his love for me. Yet regardless of my willingness to accept it, he still loves me. Regardless of my effort, faithfulness, or qualifications, he picks me. And regardless of my ability to see this reality, he chooses me. Every time.
And I doubt that I am the only one that experiences this spiritual hang up. For many of us, the more and more we come to know the immense and utterly consuming love of the Father, the more and more we struggle to understand what he sees in us. How could he love us in our weakness? How could he show mercy to us in our unfaithfulness? How could he possibly be glorified in our weakness? HOW COULD HE CHOOSE US?
But time and time again, we are reminded of this reality. We are chosen by him for eternity though we still live in a temporal world (John 15:19). We are chosen, despite our flaws and sinfulness, to be bearers of his light (1 Peter 2:9). We are chosen by him and precious in his sight, even when rejected by ourselves and others (Isaiah 49:7). We are chosen to be vessels in which he wishes to dwell (Colossians 1:27). We are chosen to inherit his kingdom and to remain with him for eternity (James 2:5).
So today, let us lay aside our feelings of unworthiness. Let us humbly accept our failings, but beg for the grace to see how he still desires to renew us. Let us ask for grace to trust in his promise. And let us rest in this simple truth--that regardless of our worthiness, he pursues us. He uplifts us. He is committed to us. HE CHOOSES US. And for that we give thanks.
No comments:
Post a Comment